Having trouble getting off to sleep? Try our 11 tips for a more peaceful and complete night's sleep.
1. Try to develop a sleeping rhythm by going to sleep and getting up at the same time as often as possible.
2. Get as much natural sunlight as possible during the day.
4. Limit your consumption of caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and big meals, especially at night
5. Make time for relaxing activities before sleep such as meditation, breathing exercise or a warm bath with relaxing essential oils.
6. Lavender is a great calming essential oil.
7. Create a calm and comfortable sleep environment. Your room should be cool – between 60 and 67 degrees. Your bedroom should also be free from any noise that can disturb your sleep. Finally, your bedroom should be free from any light; using black out curtains will help you to keep the light out.
8. Avoid naps especially in the afternoon.
9. Avoid bright light in the evening and expose yourself to sunlight in the morning. This will keep your circadian rhythms in check.
10. Try to avoid electrical devices with blue light such as smart phones and tablets as even dim light can interfere with a person's circadian rhythm and melatonin secretion resulting in disturbed sleep.
11. Try a natural sleep aid, use a sleep mask or a relaxing lavender oil on your pillowIf you’re still having trouble sleeping, don’t hesitate to speak with your doctor or to find a sleep professional.